Monday, April 27, 2009

I am no Sinatra, but I do love my little girl



So getting your kid to bed isn't always a simple thing. Some parents rely on the binky, some rely on the bottle, some a teddy bear or a blanky.

Gretchen sleeps pretty well, but now she tells us "I wanna rock". So of course, we take her to her rocking chair and rock her to sleep. Since Em is pretty pregnant, 27 weeks to be exact, I am the one to rock her. I noticed when Emily would rock her, sh would sing. Emily's singing is gorgeous so I figured I knew why G would fall asleep to it, but lately, she just asks for me, she asks for me to sing to her.

And this is odd, because, I can't sing. I actually love to do it, but am not gifted in that department, at all. Now the thing about this whole issue is, I chose to sing her Frank Sinatra. Every single night. When I 1st sit down with her to rock, I say "do you want me to sing a song?" she replies "yeah", so I do. I usually sing "Fly Me To The Moon", "New York, New York" and "Luck Be A Lady". Sometimes I mix it up with "I Won't Dance" or "Love and Marriage".

Last night at about 4a.m. she was crying and asking for me in her bed, so I came in. I began to rock her, and she was saying something strange that I didn't understand, and when I wouldn't meet her request, she would cry. Come to find out, I asked Em, she was saying "SING DADDY, SING". I thought I heard it, but Em confirmed it.

My relationship with Gretchen is really starting to remind me of my relationship with Jesus. At times when I feel scared, I really do just want to climb up in my daddy's lap and tell him to sing to me. Just make it all better.

Romans 8:15
"For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father.""

No comments: