Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Art of Story

I have always said that if I could be the best in the world at something, it would be storytelling.

I mean it, I love to listen to a good story. One that has a great beginning, a big climax and an ending that makes it all worth the wait. Sometimes it isn't as much about the story as it is the person telling it. It is like my friend and co-worker, Ray Vance. This guy can tell a story like no one's business. I mean, he could tell you what he had for breakfast and you feel like you need to tell a buddy the same tail, only you know when you tell it...it will just be about breakfast.

Storytelling is crucial to culture. It is the foundation of any society, it gives us this crazy thing we call "History". And yes, I love the fact that the tail of humans existence comes back to God, even in the English word for it. "HIS-STORY"

Jesus was like that. He could tell a story in a way that, even if you didn't know he was God, you knew that he knew what he was talking about. I say this because, for one, he often had large crowds. Yes, this may have been due to the awesome miracles, but many times they would make mention of the fact that they could not believe the way he could teach. He would always illustrate his point to, either making up a story that is similar or even using objects, like gauging an eye out or a whithering tree.

I have always thought that if a sermon isn't driven by a story, whether personal, popular or from scripture, people won't want to follow it. And I think this MAY be why people tend to follow me well, but at the same time, I am not a great storyteller.

Here is a clip of Michael Emerson, of the the stars of the GREATEST TV SHOW EVER, Lost.

He is reading "Little Boy Boy", but notice that HOW he reads it, changes the story completely.



See what I mean?

What do you think? Does storytelling really matter that much in life?

No comments: