Friday, April 25, 2008

Online Community


Is it me or is anyone thinking of distancing themselves from the online community all together? I mean i used to be a huge myspace person, but anymore everytime i log on all i can think about is how much of a breeding ground it is for videos driven by women and young girl doing things that would give me a heart attack if as a father or just people who need to work. I remember the days when chat rooms 1st came out, it was sweet. I am from southern ohio so i can remember when we had this thing called MIRC and a chat room called the LOBBY. We would use it to talk to people we never though we ever would and hook up with desperate women, which in hindsight caused much more problems that solutions. But now it seems to have gotten worse.

I go on facebook, and it is about 95% cleaner than myspace, but yet still i find myself really not caring about any of it. I guess the question i have is, has the online community made us a global community overnight, or has it killed community all together?

Take shows like "To Catch A Predator". Now i will admit, i couldnt love this show more, it is both sad, scary and hillarious (when the guys say they just came to "talk"). But it is amazing how much a impersonal world has evolved into a world where you say seemingly say or do anything as long as you are in the friendly confines of your computer. And almost every time a guy gets caught he has seen the show before, but yet still does it, but why?

To me it is because we have created a new fantasy world like for the nerds (sorry if thats you) that play world of warcraft, or the people that find a mate on eHarmony (once again, sorry). You want to be something you are not, so you go the extra mile to make certain you are. The worst part to me is that parents still dont get it, that they just need to stop allowing computers to be in their child's bedroom and not out in the open so that they can be safely monitored. so you know, the question stands, is all of this a good thing?

Well yes and no. I love the net because of all of the information. to prepare a sermon or to learn what is going on in the world has never been easier to access. But we must be careful, otherwise we are only fooling ourselves.

Plus a new observation about myself when it comes to this, does anyone else think of To Catch A Predator when you see that a male adult friend has a IM or Yahoo screenname? I honestly do every single time. my fault i guess.

But anyway that is my take on the online community. I would love to here yours as well.

No comments: